Journal of Complementary and Alternative Medical Research,
Needed attention has not been paid to hearing defects and the use of hearing aids compared to the enormous attention given to visual problems. This study aimed to compare the prevalence of visual defect to hearing defect and by extension the frequency of use of medicated glasses compared to the use of hearing aid. A total of 500 questionnaires were distributed randomly among students of Nnamdi Azikiwe University, Nnewi campus. Four hundred and seventy eight was retrieved, out of which 11 were disqualified due to improper filling, leaving us with a total of 467 properly filled questionnaires (representing 93.4% of the total number). Results were computed in simple percentages. Our results show that only 1.5% of the study population reported positive for hearing defect. Out of this number, only one respondent uses a hearing aid (representing 0.21% of the population). This is unlike seeing defect in which 117 (25.05% of total population) reported positive and 41.81% of them attested to the use of medicated glasses (representing 15.85% of the total population). All subjects who had hearing defects are aged between 15 and 25 (15-20 = 57.14%; 21-25 = 42.86%). This is similar to the case of seeing defects where the majority (70%) is aged 15-20 and 26% are aged 21-25, totally 96% of cases. We believe the enormity of persons subscribing to seeing aids are so because of massive awareness and affordability of medicated glasses, which in some cases is made available at no cost to the patient. The lack of data on persons with hearing defect in the country as well as the lack of publicity and investment in hearing aids has contributed greatly to the lack of interest and unwillingness on the part of patients to reach for hearing aids. Our results also show that females reported more both for hearing defects and seeing defect relative to their number. We therefore propose a better information system in which hearing aids are not only made available but also affordable and the masses are rigorously enlightened as to the health and social benefits.